Re: [ARSCLIST] Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

At 07:26 AM 10/4/2005, Jerome Hartke wrote:
Just a reminder that archivists are utilizing storage products that are
designed and manufactured for the mass market. This has two advantages.
First, cost is very low because of the very large consumer market. Second,
compatibility is high because of the very large installed base.

When professional users are given the cost of products tailored for their
needs, the usual response is that the high cost cannot be justified because
of the ready availability of cheap, consumer grade discs and drives.
Gentlemen, we usually get what we pay for.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

Hello, Jerry,

While this is true now, we have a history that doesn't support this change of cost model.

When analog tape recording became widespread in the late 1940s, the tape that was commonly available, Scotch 111, was widely used and sold for both professional and amateur uses.

Consumer quality tape became available, but the cost savings were not substantial. That didn't stop purchasing agents and private individuals from purchasing this tape for archival use -- at least for oral histories. On the other hand, professional recording tape (primarily Ampex, but other brands also suffered) suffered from binder breakdown. Also, as we discussed previously here, Kodak tape (a trusted name) has not fared well.

I think multiple gold CD-R copies might be as safe a storage as we have available today if the owner is not willing to invest in a managed digital archive. It's certainly better to generate these now than to keep the only copy on Kodak or some store brand tape (which is what I'm copying right now).

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/