Re: [ARSCLIST] Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

On 04/10/05, Lou Judson wrote:
> All the DATS I recorded (ten years worth) are at 44.1, and when a
> client brings in a 48k DAT, I usually transfer analog to 44.1 because
> it seems to come out just as well or better than a lengthy SRC in the
> digital realm. Thought or comments?

You are then going through a D->A, an analog driver stage, and an A->D;
so it would entirely depend on how well engineered these are.

Likewise the digital sample rate conversion would depend on the quality
of the algorithm. There is always a better way to do something.

And it will depend on the material. What may be more than good enough
for oral history might show a slight but audible loss of quality on a
concert recording of Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for Strings.

> I have a Sony 2300 that works as well as the day it was new, a good
> D-100, a 59ES that seemed to need heads last time I checked, and a
> lowly Panasonic 3500. I've kept the 3500 just in case for a long time
> now and never needed it - anyone looking for one?

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx