Re: [ARSCLIST] reel-to-reel tape

Hello, Mark,

This is a track configuration issue of an earlier recording on the tape and the one you're listening to.

My first thought is the Cassady interview was recorded on a quarter-track machine over a half-track recording going the other direction, but there are many other options as to what happened.

I had John French make me a 4-channel 8-track head assembly for my "FrankenSony" pair of APR-5003V recorders that lets me play four tracks simultaneously. The really neat thing about this head is that I have infinite height adjustment without changing the head azimuth or zenith, so I can tease out any track snippets as long as they are at least 0.021 inches wide (or have adjacent silence totalling that dimension).

Try switching between 1/4 track and 2-track heads and see what happens.

If all else fails, there is a good chance that both programs can be recovered without crosstalk. Not a guarantee, but a good chance.

Cheers,

Richard