Re: [ARSCLIST] reel-to-reel tape

Mark Downs wrote:
I am currently working with a reel-to-reel recording of Neal Cassady.  While
listening to it, I notice that it seems to have an underlying track in reverse.
 When the interview runs out, there is still the sound reversal until the end of
the reel.  Does anybody know how this occurs or how I might listen to it?

Second thought (too obvious): a half-track mono recording played back on both output channels. Turn one off/down. Turn the tape over to hear the reversed track.

Unfortunately, the "standard" for half-track mono recordings was to record in both "directions". Since the tapes so recorded can't be stored "tails out", print-through results in pre-echo on one track
and post-echo on the other.

Gary