Re: [ARSCLIST] reel-to-reel tape

Mark Downs wrote:

> I am currently working with a reel-to-reel recording of Neal Cassady.  While
> listening to it, I notice that it seems to have an underlying track in reverse.
>  When the interview runs out, there is still the sound reversal until the end of
> the reel.  Does anybody know how this occurs or how I might listen to it?
> Mark Downs
> Harry Ransom Center
> University of Texas at Austin

First thought is that it's either quarter-track and you're playing it half-track, or
it's half-track and you're playing it full track. If you're playing it on a
quarter-track machine and STILL hearing reversed audio, either the heads on your
machine are out of alignment or the tape was recorded on a machine with that
problem, resulting in crosstalk.

dl