Re: [ARSCLIST] Job Posting [long-ish]

Karl, Richard, Steven, et al,

I feel somewhat apologetic for seeming to favor "official" certification (a MLS degree) over subject experience and expertise when I was only trying to say that a librarian with this degree might have some advantage over someone without (all other things being equal) when working in a library environment ca. 2005 AD.

My personal experience was that I was hired in 1989 by a company (you've heard of them and seen their data, believe me. All I want to say is they are not AMG) engaged in compiling a database of classical music CDs. I was hired solely on the basis that I was a guy "who owned all these thousands of weird records and knew everything about them". This worked out to some degree, but there was a limit to how well we could present ourselves in venues other than record stores if we were cataloging solely on our instincts (and, frankly, mine were mostly good instincts, based on decades of exposure to recorded and live music as a performer, listener and collector). My insistence that the company (OK, it was called MUZE, you dragged it out of me) make me literate in cataloging by sending me to library school was based on the fact that I was attending Music Library Association conferences as a vendor and I knew that we could sell a product to libraries much better if I knew MARC format and understood the importance of authority control (among other things).

Now, the issue of the bad fit of archival materials within a library environment is well taken, though not necessarily one that can't be overcome. I actually work in the same archival unit at NYPL as Matt (a very knowledgeable person and first rate discographer), who you refer to.We have had many interesting conversations about this specific problem. Some of the difficulty actually lies in the archivist's inability to look at material through a librarian's eyes and some (definitely a majority) the other way around. I was working as a librarian in the recorded sound circulating collection here when I applied for an archiving position in the research music division and was hired mostly on the basis of my librarian credentials and my substantial subject area knowledge (and maybe my enthusiasm, too). I had never worked as an archivist before and I had no formal training in this area as part of my MLS studies. The experience of the year and a half working on processing and documenting the collection I was responsible for was both exhilarating and humbling in the end. I did good (in my own estimation and I believe that the thanks of a number of researchers using the collection were sincere) overall, but I learned most of my lessons on useful archival practice by the school of hard knocks. Having gotten some academic study under my belt prior to this would have only been beneficial and that, again, is what I was trying to say about why it may not be so bad to add library school (or archival certification) study to one's life experience.

I am feeling a temptation now to start to delve into why our area of recorded sound is particularly ill-served both by paper-centric libraries and archives (except, of course those that you on this list work for) and further undermine my original stance in support of going out and beefing up your street cred with a nice college degree, but maybe I ought to stop now and take a few deep breaths.

All right, I've deleted all the additional ramble that tumbled out the last few minutes and I think I'll close here.

My respectful best,

Peter Hirsch