Re: [ARSCLIST] Job Posting

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Peter Hirsch wrote:

> No one pursuing a graduate degree
> in Library Science would have the time or means to accumulate all the
> valuable experience you describe in their course of study.

An MLS is often a one year, no thesis degree.

 A good deal
> of this experience would be quite valuable to a librarian/archivist, but
> so would a lot of other things that tend to come up in library school. I
> would be eager (seriously) to take your discography 101 course, but I
> stick to my guns on what might be quantifiable and of most value in an
> institutional setting like the one in the original posting.

What do you mean by quantifiable?

What training in that library school would be of most value in
the institutional setting in the original posting?

Library Schools can offer wonderful training, especially for the generalist.
However, when it comes to the subject specific assignments, based upon my own
experience as a student, and as faculty in a library school, and as a
librarian in a research collection, Library School is about information
management and stresses the notion that the management of information is
more important than knowledge and preservation (and the requisite skills
needed for both) of information.

For me, there needs to be a balance, but, from my perspective I give my
vote to subject specific background to relevant assignments.

Karl