Re: [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/circuit noise

Hello Downunder Friend Basson,

I just found some specific info on your soundcard from a British magazine web site, "Sound on Sound". To quote from the article:
Solving Computer Audio Problems
Banish Them For Good

If you get ground-loop problems in your computer after installing a soundcard with a drive-bay interface, such as the Terratec DMX6Fire shown here, try mounting it using nylon bolts and washers.

The whole article covers most of what we've been discussing and then some: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/computerproblems.htm

Hope this is of help,

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

P.S. I use Audition, too, so if you need some tips on using your "Frequency Analysis" function to find out what your buzz is in Hz (cycles), let me know; if you record just the buzz, you should be able to get a sample wave that should be easy to analyze.

D Basson wrote:

Dear Rod, Mike, Lou, Richard, Joe, etc.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I've disconnected the monitor and recorded "silence", but the buzz (like a shaver) was still present. I've removed the I/O box from the PC case and everything sounded much better. One thinks of upgrading one's system (in need of speed) just to encounter new problems slowing you down again!

Kind regards,

Diederick Basson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Stephens" <savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:51 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/circuit noise

Hi Diederick,

In checking out the Terratec, I see that there is a different version of that box, the Terratec Phase 26 USB which, of course is USB, so I would guess means no internal card (much better).

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

D Basson wrote:

Dear Group members

I recently bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer with Windows XP. I use a Terratec DMX6Fire soundcard. When I make recordings using Adobe Audition or Wavelab, I get a buzzing noise - a problem I have never had with my previous computer. Can anyone perhaps help me solve the problem?

Kind regards,

Diederick Basson