Re: [ARSCLIST] Job Posting

At 01:53 PM 9/15/2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:
 and was told that I would
need at least a Master's...PhD preferred...in Library Science to
avoid my application immediately being placed in "File 13" (the
dustbin!).

Part of this is that (at least in one state where I enquired), funding and accreditation is based on degree counts.

The degree(s) are a kind of gate-keeper in this parallel universe.

While I have no idea about MLS, it seems that there are many conventions and ways of organizing and saying things that you learn during that education that are important to integrating well with other MLSs.

My real point was that folks in upper-level archiving positions
often lack the innate knowledge which they really need to complete
their tasks...and I don't think anyone is able to provide that
knowledge, which is unfortunate and which also affects the
quality of our archives and archival data. Dunno how to fix that,
though...

Steven C. Barr
(Who would, of course, be available for consultant positions
in the field...)

I am working to help bridge the gap between librarians and archivists on one side and technologists on the other as the job(s) we're facing are too big for one person to do it all. I truly believe that archivists/librarians need technologists and vice versa if we're going to save and make accessible our rich cultural heritage of pictures and sounds.

I bring some skills and qualifications to a variety of projects. One thing I don't bring is an advanced degree. I have my BS (or BSc in Canada). There is a high wall between the commercial sector and academia, and the rules are very different (as are the reward structures).

I hope to be able to continue to provide technical services and consulting to archivists and librarians as that is what I do best and they can then focus on what they do best.

But, our situations are a bit different. I was lectured by my first employer about not going the traditional route of getting a BSEE rather than just a BS, but he was able to sell it to his management and I was hired, and I did good work. I have no delusions about crossing into academia, though I will certainly team with my brother-in-law who has his Ph.D. to do what I do in support of what he does. A friend of mine who has a BA did teach a course in a college here in the Toronto area last year and found it was more profitable to continue to work rather than teach the course.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/