Re: [ARSCLIST] More on cataloging

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Since I am both collector and discographer, my collection catalog
> includes considerable discographic data. I created it using MS
> Access and a 3 level relational database. The problem is that
> data entry is a long and tedious procedure, requiring 10-15 minutes
> per catalogued phonorecord; so far, I have less than 200 phonorecords
> catalogued, and have serious doubts as to whether I will ever be
> finished with the task! However, if I ever do it will be a valuable
> data source for posterity.

By comparison, I have observed catalogers, using Connexion, taking 20+
minutes preparing a MARC record for an LP.

> As far as the usefulness and/or use of a fairly complete
> discographic data archive...note how many times Brian Rust's
> discographies are used!

I also think about how often I turn to WERM, Melodiya, Dave Canfield's
books, The Orchestra on Record, etc.

Reflecting on my interest in less familiar repertoire...I will consult the
Bennett Melodiya discography and then will check with Canfield to see what
might be missing and then try searching OCLC. The least helpful is of
course OCLC...Melodiya records were not purchased by many libraries, and
perhaps some of the "missing titles" might be missing due to differences
in transliteration from the cyrillic. Bennett's work was excellent, but
Dave Canfield would travel through the Soviet Union buying records, so he
turned up items from different regions, as I believe several of the
Republics had their own pressing plants.

While many discographic projects require intensive research...perhaps
making ownership of the information a consideration...I wonder if shared
(non-proprietary) discographic information would inhibit or encourage
participation in the process?

Karl