Re: [ARSCLIST] More on cataloging

Karl:

This is an old (never-ending) debate - quick and (sometimes) dirty versus
complete and detailed.  Even if you make the cataloguing as complete as
possible, as we do on the Virtual Gramophone site
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html people will complain
- there is too much detail or we didn't check all the sources for whatever
specific detail they are interested in, be it subject headings, session
information, or whatever.  (Those libraries that want to do copy cataloguing
from the Virtual Gramophone can now do so through the LACs main catalogue
AMICUS - this is a step forward.)

My experience tells me that whatever depth of cataloguing you go for it
needs to be consistent. Which means that record collectors do not always
make the best cataloguers - as consistency is not always a strong point.
You need good instructions, good training, and a patient person with a
meticulous streak in them to spot errors and inconsistencies.  Being a
little retentive helps.

The super catalogue  is a dream.  Yes there is lots of data out there in
various computer formats, but there are so many variables in that data,
nothing is really standardized, that bringing it altogether would result in
another series of Rigler Deutsch type complaints.  It should be noted that
Rigler Deutsch does what it was intended to do - provide inexpensive access
to large collections that were previously inaccessible at any level.

NAXOS itself has had a debate about cataloguing levels and is dealing with
complaints about errors, inconsistencies and omissions.   They are even
hiring librarians.  The cycle begins again.

Do the best you can with the resources at hand.

Richard

Richard Green
Acting Manager / Gestionnaire intérimaire
Music Section / Section de la musique
Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
395 rue Wellington St.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Canada
Telephone / Téléphone:  (613) 995-3400