Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Hamm" <rhamm@xxxxxx>
> Reminds me of the April Fools' Day news article that NPR ran a few years
> back, purporting to report on an ambitious new project of the Library of
> Congress to reproduce all known sound files on wax cylinders - the
> rationale being that this is the most low-tech and therefor most
perdurable
> medium for long range storage. No power is needed for playback, just a
> cranking arm!
> >Perhaps what we need is a method of storing digital files on a shellac
> >disc?! They seem to last forever, barring disasters...
> >
> >Steven C. Barr
Well, the difference is that we know that wax cylinders are subject to
mould damage, and thus have very finite lifespans. To my knowledge, a
shellac disc, unless dropped, subjected to high temperatures or
cleaned with alcohol, seems to have an infinite lifespan...I have
several over a century old that do not appear to have deteriorated!

scb