Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Data density may be a problem, though. I believe we would be on even
> surer ground if we converted the ones and zeroes to marks impressed on
> clay discs. Cuneiform, here we come!
Hmm-m-m...
That's an interesting thought! Presumably, we could use a system whereby
a short burst of a given tone represented a '1' and no signal (or perhaps
a different frequency, like RTTY?) a '0' signal. Then, the question would be
the minimum length of signal needed to identify it? (aka baud rate?).

Given that we can use 56K (bits, not bytes) modems...could this be
recorded on a shellac disc, given the inherent signal-to-noise ratio?
It could probably be done on vinyl...but are there any lifespan
considerations for vinyl discs?

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/