From: "Russ Hamm" <rhamm@xxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

Reminds me of the April Fools' Day news article that NPR ran a few years
back, purporting to report on an ambitious new project of the Library of
Congress to reproduce all known sound files on wax cylinders - the
rationale being that this is the most low-tech and therefor most
perdurable
medium for long range storage. No power is needed for playback, just a
cranking arm!

Russ Hamm

Perhaps what we need is a method of storing digital files on a shellac
disc?! They seem to last forever, barring disasters...