Re: [ARSCLIST] Plangent Processes and speed correction

The idea of tracking hum was among a group of improvements awaiting
inplementatiuon I presented at a 1990 (I think) Audio Engineering Society
plenary session so you can be sure I believe in it as a concept..  I have a
copy of the tape.

We are preserving the audio cultural heritage imperfectly, restoring audio
that could, with assistance from this program, be much improved.  Instead,
if the media lasts long enough, it will have to be done again when this or a
similar program are widely and inexpensively available.

I'm sure the developers have made a substantial invenstement in their
programs.

This, it seems to me, is a perfect product to be marketed cheaply,
subsidized by an appropriate entity by someone at the Bill Gates level.

I sugest creating a presentation with this goal would be an appropriate
function of ARSC in conjunction with the Plangent folks.

I know they are working with 78s right now but the lack of an example makes
me uneasy- do discs introduce another layer of technical problems when heard
under more detailed listening conditions than the conference presentation
allowed?  I shouldn't think so but until one is posted, let's not call Mr.
Gates just yet.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:58 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Plangent Processes and speed correction

Steve,

Plangent Processes and Antares are two different animals. One looks
at non-program artifacts in the source, the other looks at program.

Plangent has some impressive demonstrations - they can almost totally
remove dubber flutter. I think I heard things at the ARSC conference
that did not come off magnetic media, and Jamie talked about looking
for and locking onto a wide range of "timebase"-type signals in a
recording.

Sure you want to own it, but Jamie needs to recoup a sizeable
investment. Look at the prices of the Algorithmix pro plugins and the
Cedar processes. I can tell you that the incremental difference on
noise reduction between the mid-range Algorithmix Sound Laundry and
the Pro is about the price ratio.

My band organ client was blown away with the new noise reduction (he
likes to hear the music, not the machine).

Anyway, if you lock onto the music, doesn't that destroy the music
unless there is a low-pass filter?

Cheers,

Richard