[ARSCLIST] acetate broadcast notations

I'm working on a collection of 16-inch acetates from the 1940s, and some
have the fractional notations handwritten in pencil on the label.

For example, one set shows:

"1 3/4" - on disc 1, part 3 (side 2) - no annotation on disc 1, side 1
"2 1/2" - on disc 2, part 2 (side 1)
"3" - on disc 2, part 4 (side 2)

and on another set

"1 3/4" - on disc 1, part 1 (side 1) - no other annotations on other discs
in the set

This question is simply a point of curiousity - am I looking at a meaningful
notation that was used throughout the broadcast industry, or am I looking at
a notation that was specific to one recording engineer.  You never know when
these little cryptic things might actually be useful.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive