Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel tape recorder for auditioning archival tapes.

At 03:54 PM 6/7/2005 -0400, Don Tait wrote:
  I have had two ReVox B-77s (MK II) for more than ten years and they have
always performed reliably and well. There have only been one or two easily
repaired problems. Based upon my experience and what others have said to
me, it
might be wise to avoid Tandberg. I had two of the top-of-the-line home ones in
the late '80s and early '90s. They were great when they worked, but seemed
to be
delicate and seldom did. Something always seemed to be wrong with one or the
other and I finally got rid of them.

I concur on the Tandberg lines. I relied on them from my first deck, a model 6 bought used forty-five years ago, until about 2000. About once a year, one of my decks would need to go in for service, leaving me operating on two. Performance was superb, but regular service was mandatory. By the time I bought the Studer, I had replaced the Tandbergs with Teacs - slightly inferior in performance and tape handling, but far more reliable. Today, the only supplement to the Studer in my operation is a two-track Uher. That won't last long; the only accessible service shop informed me on its last visit that it was not welcome to return.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/