Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: 'Catalog. How it works

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Steven Smolian wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> Alas!  It's not a few ideas but a complete rethinking of how cataloging is
> to be done that I'm proposing.

Indeed it is but I am amazed at how much thought you have given to the
process. It will take me awhile to digest it all. I printed it out and
will try and flow chart it so I can understand it better

I agree that an entire rethinking of the process is in order...since we
are no longer limited to the line linearity of paper.

I sincerely hope that there is more discussion about this and that some
serious consideration can be given to such rethinking of the task of
cataloging. The more I reflect on this subject, the more I marvel at what
has been accomplished by catalogers, even if I believe the methodology is
predicated on what seems to be based upon a linear environment. Sometimes
answers, solutions, and/or simplification comes best from without than
from within.

Karl