Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: 'Catalog. How it works

Hello Steve,

I think the following might incorporate some of your ideas for a catalog
program, but check it out.

I've been using Music Collector software for over a year (with no cost
upgrades via downloading) for my own library of personal recordings and
find it does a lot of things very well, including Web searching for
various versions and sources of LP's and reel to reel material including
the cover (front and back) graphics for downloading and inclusion in the
database.  In the more professional version (higher cost) you can also
export data in ASCII for MS Excel and MS Access, HTML, and

The Export to HTML feature uses XSL templates to define the layout and
look of the exported HTML pages. For the Index page, you can export a
simple list of items using the Custom List Template setting, or use
other list layouts by Selecting a Template from the list.

Custom List Template
The Custom List Template feature lets you export a simple list of your
items, with a configurable field set. Use the Edit button to change
the template settings. You can choose the fields that appear as
columns in the list, you can set the Report Title, choose the Font,
include a date and enable/disable Row Shading.
When you use the Custom List Template feature, the program
automatically generates a "list template" and uses it directly. If you
want to keep this layout for later use, check the "Save in Template
List" checkbox and the generated template will appear in the Select
Template list with the Description you entered.

The downside is that you can only import data in their format (.muc) and
KiC Music (.kic).  The outfit also sells specialized database programs
for books, comics, movies, games and MP3's.

What I like is that there are "standard" fields, but also some
configurable ones too, if you need them, and I love the thumbnail covers
and album information which the program automatically (with your final
permission) finds and downloads into the record.
Also, it has a simple window entry field that will "find" (resort)
anything in your database by one or more keywords.

It may not be the perfect (what is?) solution for our work, but it is
food for thought as to features for an ultimate cataloging program.  You
can download a trial edition limited to 100 entries here:
http://www.collectorz.com/music/

The programmers/authors of the software are Dutch, I believe, so I'm
sure they could make multiple language capability a reality, and they
might even be interested in writing LOC version.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions