Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity of half-track reel

At 12:48 PM 3/15/2005 -0500, Steven Smolian wrote:
These should work and preserve as well as any other reel to reel tapes.

One minor matter is that, pefore playing, I advise running the tape back and
forth to discharge print-thru that may have accumulated by transfer in
storage.  It's generally to late for this to work on recordings made at too
great a level to begin with.  That print-thru you're stuck with.

Steve Smolian

"Back and forth" is a bit vague. I believe preferred procedure if stored tails-out (by far the better method) is to 'rewind' to get tails in, let the tape rest for ten minutes or so to have the self-degaussing of the start of the audio take effect, then play. If tails-in to begin with, then you're right that there is no need to wait, but time consumed in tape handling (and risk of damage) increases dramatically. For that, fast-forward, then rewind, then play, then flip the reels and play through again to avoid storing under excess tension. That means two fast plays and two slow plays instead of one of each (with a rest between).

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/