Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity of half-track reel

At 3/15/2005 08:57 AM, you wrote:
One person advised us that half-track recording is generaly not
advised, but I would appreciate your opinion.

It's true that "half track both directions" recording is not the easiest format to work with, and not the one most of us would choose for new recordings. But as archivists and conservators of old recordings, we generally don't have a lot of choice about the format of the media we work with; you have to take what you can get. In many cases, the makers of the original recordings weren't thinking beyond their own immediate use.

As stewards and conservators of old recordings, it's our obligation to
provide our successors with content in one or more format that we expect
them to recognize and know how to use.

John Ross
Northwest Folklife