[ARSCLIST] Longevity of half-track reel

----- Forwarded message from djh24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----
    Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:47:15 -0500
    From: djh24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: Longevity of half-track reel
      To: arsclist@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am writing from Oral History American Music with another question
about analog reel.  Many years ago, some of our recorded interviews
were duplicated onto half-track reel.  To conserve space, the staff
recorded the first half of the recording in mono in the right channel,
then flipped the reel over and recorded the second half on the other
channel.

Are these reels less stable than those recorded full track mono or in
stereo?  Is there a danger of print-through?  How about those recorded
quarter track?

One person advised us that half-track recording is generaly not
advised, but I would appreciate your opinion.  Thanks in advance for
any information you can provide.

David Heetderks
Oral History, American Music

----- End forwarded message -----