Re: [ARSCLIST] SRC (was software for .wav files)

on 2/23/05 2:16 PM, Eric Jacobs at ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't see how DSD provides any advantages over PCM for SRC if you
> make the conversion in two steps, since the exact same SRC can also
> be accomplished using PCM.

Well I think the argument is that DSD uses a much higher sample rate and
eliminates the need for an LPF during the A/D stage making it sound better.

But in fact it probably has more to do with hype and marketing than anything
else. There are plenty or people on both sides, some who consider DSD to be
the holy grail for digital audio and others who claim that it is a flawed
format and does not work. (In fact Sony abandoned 1 bit DSD quite a while
ago and is using what they term as DSD-wide this varies depending on what is
being done to the signal but can be up to 64 bits at 64fs for filtering and
other processing).

In reality PCM has a significant advantage over DSD in that there simply are
more tools available for editing and manipulation of PCM.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts