Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

At 07:53 PM 2/23/2005 -0500, Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

Just as with tape, magnetic disc manufacturing has evolved considerably in
the last fifteen years.

About five years ago a friend gave me a ten year old IBM PS2 computer which
he had never used. I tried it and it would boot up but found many HD read
errors.  I reformatted the drive. About half the disc space was marked
unusable but
I was able to use the rest.

A couple of months I fired it up again. It would not boot from the HD. I
haven't tried another reformat yet, though I intend to since it is the only
working machine I have which will read some IBM BASIC binary files that I
would like
to retrieve (after they are transferred from 5-1/2 floppies that it won't
read).

However this is all "ancient" computer technology, in the same category that
all we are using today will be 20 years from now.

Mike Csontos

This is the sort of task to turn over to Spinrite from http://grc.com/ The program is designed to do only one thing: maintain platter integrity (including recovering sectors as possible). At a guess, the disc and its data are not worth the cost of the program, but anyone using hard drives in critical applications (or for archival storage) would do well to check it out.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/