Re: [ARSCLIST] SRC (was software for .wav files)

So why is decimation used at all if sample rate conversion (SRC) with
integer multiples is always possible using two steps?

For example, one could take a PCM 96000 sample rate recording, and
multiply by 147 and then divide by 320 to get to a 44100 SR.  Or
take a 192000 SR recording and multiply by 147 and then divide by 640.

I don't see how DSD provides any advantages over PCM for SRC if you
make the conversion in two steps, since the exact same SRC can also
be accomplished using PCM.

Naturally, a two-step SRC without decimation will require more time
and memory to compute - perhaps making it less suitable for
cost-effective real-time hardware implementation.  But hardware is
getting faster and more inexpensive, so I'm not even sure that is a
limitation.

Is it the case that every non-real-time SRC (ie. DAW) is done in
two steps without decimation?

Again, I still don't see the advantage of DSD over PCM for SRC (I'm
not talking about word-length, only SRC).

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive