From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:53 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

In a message dated 2/23/2005 11:47:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
smolians@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Anyone have experience firing up a computer after a 15 year period of
Inactivity?

Steve Smolian
**********

Just as with tape, magnetic disc manufacturing has evolved considerably
in
the last fifteen years.

About five years ago a friend gave me a ten year old IBM PS2 computer
which
he had never used. I tried it and it would boot up but found many HD
read
errors.  I reformatted the drive. About half the disc space was marked
unusable but
I was able to use the rest.

A couple of months I fired it up again. It would not boot from the HD. I
haven't tried another reformat yet, though I intend to since it is the
only
working machine I have which will read some IBM BASIC binary files that
I would like
to retrieve (after they are transferred from 5-1/2 floppies that it
won't
read).

However this is all "ancient" computer technology, in the same category
that
all we are using today will be 20 years from now.

Mike Csontos