Re: [ARSCLIST] WARNING about a new E-Bay identity theft scam...

At 02:30 PM 2/6/2005 -0800, RA Friedman wrote:
Yes, this is getting really bad since the "phishers" are now starting to
create exact facsimiles of the real sites. I got one for Paypal recently.
The link takes you to a site that looks just like Paypal. It isn't. The
rule of thumb is don't log into any site unless you have chosen it via the
actual URL in your browser. No legitimate site will ever send you an email
asking you to log-in.

1. Kill the HTML in all incoming e-mail. The true address is almost always invisible in plaintext, hiding underneath in the HTML.

2. Never click a link in an e-mail; copy and paste so you go to the site
which appears to the eye.

3. Do not trust appearances. ebay.com is an eBay domain; ebaymembers.com
may or may not be.

90+% of my HTML e-mail is spam or phishing. 90+% of my plaintext e-mail is
legitimate. I've never received a plaintext phishing attempt.

Mike

--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/