Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitizing Sound Files for Preservation and Access...

At 02:50 PM 2/6/2005 -0800, John Erdmann wrote:
Hello,

I am a grad student in the MLIS program at the University of
Washington, currently taking a class on Archiving.  I am working with
two other students on a group research paper, the topic of which is
"Digitizing Sound Files for Preservation and Access".  We want to
focus on the challenges of such projects, in terms of technology,
remote access, and (possibly) the surrounding legal issues.  What are the
challenges that Sound and Music Archivists currently face?  We would
appreciate any ideas, comments, or direction toward good literature
on this topic.

Thanks much!

John

Permit me to suggest that you browse the archives of this list.

You are covering very broad subjects which have been discussed here at
length - in short, you're in the right group and will probably find most of
the issues and most of the variations of opinion in our history. As for
someone preparing a precis which consolidates those issues - that's what
grad students are for. <VBG>

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx