From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RA Friedman
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 2:30 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] WARNING about a new E-Bay identity theft scam...

Yes, this is getting really bad since the "phishers" are now starting to
create exact facsimiles of the real sites. I got one for Paypal
recently. The link takes you to a site that looks just like Paypal. It
isn't. The rule of thumb is don't log into any site unless you have
chosen it via the actual URL in your browser. No legitimate site will
ever send you an email asking you to log-in.

Graham Newton <gn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
A WARNING if you use E-bay...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

There is a new "phishing" scheme (a method of getting your confidential
information for identity theft) that seems to have started in the past
week.
Here's how it works:-

You get a message apparently from an E-bay member who asks for your
comment
about a seller who received money and did not deliver goods. The sender
says
that he was told you had done business with the person and gives a name.
Here is the one I received, although they may vary the message, you get
the
idea of how it works.

COPY OF PHISHING MESSAGE:
====
Hi, I have recently had a bad transaction with an ebay member.Here are
his
details: Christopher Keller,3422 Avenue,New York, 10001.I sent him the
payment for an item and it never arrived.Now he wont reply to my emails.
He said he made transactions on ebay before and you are one of his
customers.
I have reported the incident to ebat and to the law authoritiesCan you
help
me?Do you know this person?
====
END OF PHISHING MESSAGE

The message gives you a button to click on to respond to the message via
E-bay BUT IT DOES NOT GO TO E-bay... instead it goes to an E-bay
look-alike
webpage in the Ukraine where the phisher gathers your E-bay name and
Password.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Instead, use your browser's "forward" feature to forward the entire
message
including headers to E-bay at:-

spoof@xxxxxxxx

They are VERY interested in shutting down these people before they do
some
serious damage!

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records
for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.

RA Friedman, Archivist
Freedman Jewish Music Archive
University Of Pennsylvania

Webmaster, Yiddish-American Digital Archive
(Not affiliated with University of Pennsylvania)
http://yiddishsong.org
Restored 78s in Real Audio