Re: [ARSCLIST] Compression (was Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw ...)

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Somewhat later Mike Richter wrote:

> At 08:34 AM 1/21/2005 -0600, Karl Miller wrote:
> >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Don Cox wrote:
> >
> > > I think compression is a bad solution.
> >
> >I agree, however, with the dynamic range of an orchestra being over 100db,
> >would not one need to be willing to listen at that level to get a fully
> >balanced sound?...I am reminded of this as per a discussion I had with John
> >Eargle, assuming I understood what he was saying, who suggested 80db max for
> >any commerical recording.

> The compression used in practice is visible in one of the areas of
> distortion discussed at my alternate WWW site at
>    http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/
> Why EMI would choose so to distort a classical reissue is beyond my
> understanding, but they did and do.

----- the EMI LP reissue of Adelina Patti's recordings obviously included her
last recording, "la Calasera". The limiters are extremely audible on a couple
of high a's. Why? because the recorded level at those notes was 60 cm/second,
quite enough to wear the record out after 3 reproductions. The original was
withdrawn and not available until the post WWII V.B. white label series. One
of my copies has been worn by my use of a modern pickup - the level is simply
staggering. What was an LP producer to do? Personally I would have preferred
to start with a very low level, but then this recording, which is the most
relaxed of her records, would have stood out in a different way. My
alternative, obviously, was to counteract the recording system resonances,
and lo-and-behold: we are back to normal dynamics, good depth perspective,
proper piano sound, proper change between voice registers, in other words: a
brilliant recording.

I am all in favour of compression when the background noise is high, as in a
car, where we easily have 70 dB. The radio stations called "Classic FM" do
this at source, and this I do not complain about. However, their repertoire
and editing stink.

Kind regards,

George