[ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

I have been following this thread with great interest.  You folks are
the best!   I am entering the thread from  the point of view of a snare
drummer in a bagpipe band. (a senior band member)
Recording bagpipe bands must be a major challenge.  How do you deal
with the extreme volume of the pipes, the fact that bagpipes send
sound from the front of the player and behind the player, the sharp
transients from the drum?  The sound within the circle of players is
entirely different from that heard by an audience.  I know there are
almost as many bagpipe jokes as there are cello jokes, but there is no
sound like that experienced by a player in a good pipe band in circle
formation.  I would think the potential for hearing damage in this
activity must be great.  Almost all of us wear some kind of hearing
protection, alas most of us too late.
Regards, FBS