Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

At 12:14 PM 1/21/2005 -0500, Frank Strauss wrote:
I have been following this thread with great interest.  You folks are
the best!   I am entering the thread from  the point of view of a snare
drummer in a bagpipe band. (a senior band member)
Recording bagpipe bands must be a major challenge.

Scottish bagpipes are likely to be very rich in harmonics, so would be especially hard to capture - regardless of where the chanter is pointing. I'd not thought of it before, but the bagpipe track on the old Phase 4 "Pass in Review" showed no change in timbre or balance as the band passed by - one more failure of realism in that spectacular LP.

I've seen spectral analyses of orchestral instruments, but not of any
flavor of bagpipe. Does anyone here know where to find one? Curiosity is
now aroused!

As far as hearing damage is concerned, the victims most frequently
documented are the symphony players seated in front of the trombones. In a
conventional arrangement, that may be violists or second violins, but there
have been experiments in changing seating to ameliorate the problem -
again, usually too late.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx