Re: [ARSCLIST] Conference Recording

Greg,

We're in the midst of working with the VT State Archives on a similar
matter.  Although the focus of our current project with them has been on
audio preservation, recording of current and future legislative
committee sessions is something we've discussed as well.

A few years ago the various legislative committees that did record their
sessions (full legislative sessions in VT are not recorded, nor do all
legislative committees record) switched from standard-speed cassette to
direct-to-audio CD recording.  Prior to that for many years they had
been using (and re-using and re-using and re-using) 1/4" open reel that
they transcribed.

I've been encouraging them to adopt solid state (CompactFlash in
particular), HDD or networked HDD recording coupled with a redundant,
RAID enabled, live server-based archival system, but since they already
invested in the CD system, that will remain as is.  Not to mention, as
for most of us (even state governments!), the outlay for the
storage-side has proved to be way too expensive to implement at this time.

andy

Greg Yates wrote:
I work in what is somewhat of a niche "industry", recording meetings of
the Tennessee General Assembly. At the present time, we are using Lanier
Advocate V dual-deck conference recorders on audiocassette tape. The
Quantegy situation has got me concerned about the future of
audiocassettes, on top of the fact that Sony is no longer producing a
reformatter/duplicator to take the half speed tapes we produce and copy
them to full speed for our patrons. My question is, what is happening in
this type of industry, not only for the short-term recording and usage
of the materials, but for the long-term archiving as well? Sony was
manufacturing a mini-disc based dual-deck conference recorder, but it is
my understanding that they are no longer producing it due to lack of
demand. Just for interest, we currently have approx. 35000 master
cassettes in our holdings. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Greg Yates
Coordinator of Legislative Recording
Tennessee State Library & Archives
403 Seventh Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37243
Greg.Yates@xxxxxxxxxxx or
tsla.lrp@xxxxxxxxxxx
615-253-3455
Fax, 615-532-5315

-- ********************************* Andy Kolovos Archivist/Folklorist Vermont Folklife Center P.O. Box 442 Middlebury, VT 05753 (802) 388-4964 akolovos @ vermontfolklifecenter.org http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org