Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

We are speaking of live musicians performing on acoustical instruments in an
acoustical environment.  When recording, we are not attempting to capture
the concert experience.  By artfully placing the microphones and enhancing
the results by further processing, we are trying to create an audio
imitation of that experience to be reproduced in an area of much smaller
cubic volume in which playback is accomplished through speakers, not
headphones.

Sitting on the stage- i.e., inside the acoustical distribution device, one
hears high frequencises directly instead of in the way the shell disperses,
delays and destroys a portion of the upper part of the audible spectrum when
delivering sound to the audience.

The engineer has to decide where in the hall his "listener" is seated as his
focal point. First row, with its wider than deep sound stage is different
from 12 rows back is different from the balcony, lower (audio) level, much
less directional but more even distribution of the spectrum.

A basic flaw in the way classical records are made is that the conductor or
his surrogate has approval of the finished product.  He is used to hearing
from yet another physical position, one that exagerates the spread of the
instruments.  If he is not kept under control, we get the acoustical diorama
of the "shaded dogs" and "living presence" records, as unrealistic in their
way as ping-pong stereo or 14' wide pianos, though a far more pleasent
listening experience, especially to those of us who fantasy-conduct with the
record.

There may be something positive to be said for mono.

Steve Smolian