Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

"...if someone took a pair of
microphones into a club where a band was playing and positioned
them to pick up and record what I actually had heard, I would
be shocked and appalled at how little of the music was clearly
audible! That wasn't what I remembered hearing!"

Isn't that interesting?

I can't count how many performances I have attended where I was taking
in as much information (or more) from bone conduction than my ears would
allow to pass to my brain. At a certain level of volume, there is also
that physical sensation of air motion not unlike what one must feel
racing a motorcycle. We'd be hard-pressed to reproduce the sheer
physicality of some performances.

I'm reminiscing about Led Zeppelin's debut at the Fillmore in 1969. No
idea what the PA amp might have been, but I think those were just two
Altec Lansing A7 cabinets with horns book-ending the band. Sitting on
the floor, ten feet from the band (when the stage was about three feet
off the floor, in an smallish dancehall)...I wonder what a good
recording might have revealed.

Steven Austin