Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

----- Original Message -----
From: "steven austin" <stevena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Isn't that interesting?
>
> I can't count how many performances I have attended where I was taking
> in as much information (or more) from bone conduction than my ears would
> allow to pass to my brain. At a certain level of volume, there is also
> that physical sensation of air motion not unlike what one must feel
> racing a motorcycle. We'd be hard-pressed to reproduce the sheer
> physicality of some performances.
>
> I'm reminiscing about Led Zeppelin's debut at the Fillmore in 1969. No
> idea what the PA amp might have been, but I think those were just two
> Altec Lansing A7 cabinets with horns book-ending the band. Sitting on
> the floor, ten feet from the band (when the stage was about three feet
> off the floor, in an smallish dancehall)...I wonder what a good
> recording might have revealed.
I saw Led Zeppelin live, in Munich (I was stationed in Garmisch) the
winter of 1969-70. By this time, their sound equipment had expanded
to what looked like, to me, a wall of PA speakers on each side of the
stage, with the band playing in the middle! I have no idea how many,
or what, speakers were used...but I had come from a life where bands
were still using 25-watt PA's feeding a pair of Kustom columns (four
10" speakers done in rolled & pleated Naugahyde), so I was impressed!
I also remember them as being VERY loud...I think my ears were still
ringing the next a.m.!
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/