[ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

There is a new NIST report which is a product of an NIST CD and DVD recorable disc test in collaboration with the Library of Congress.  It discusses dyes, reflective surfaces and variations in storage conditions.

Conclusion: The gold/silver CD discs using phthalocyanine dyes were consistantly more stable than the others.  Though not mentioned by name, the Mistui Gold was the only such disc on the US market during this study, though Tayo-Yuden was phasing out its own such product. "It is demonstrated here that CD-R and DVD-R media can be bery stable... these media types will ensure data is availble for several tends of years and therefore may be suitable for archival use.

The 8 page study appears in the Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technologt, Vol. 109 no. 5, Sept-Oct, 2004.

I found this on the web this AM but was unable to locate it (and its URL) this afternoon.  Prehaps it's been reposted by now.

One weakness in the study is that it ignores the issues of disc capacity and, particulary, writing speed.   Better we have this guidance now, however, than wait for a more comprehensive report.

Steven Smolian