Re: [ARSCLIST] Stand Alone CDR Burners?

At 10:39 PM 9/26/2004 -0500, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I prefer a computer housed burner because it allows one to make CD-Roms of
files as well as audio CDs. CD-Roms have more error correction and can be
higher resolution and word depth than the 16/44.1 of a standard audio CD.
You can also make multiple copies of a CD, I do not know if this is possible
on a stand alone.

Stand alones write at 1X and require music CD-Rs to do so. They don't accept
computer CD-R discs, unless that has changed.

Operationally, the advantage of a standalone can far exceed the losses attendant on recording to CD-DA. Of course, if time is unlimited and volume is low on material requiring the best one-time capture, the computer solution may be preferable.

Standalones *can* write at 1x and for the present purpose (capture from
tape) must do so. For that reason, high-speed media are a distinct
disadvantage. In practice, one may be forced to use Digital Audio discs
despite issues of longevity and cost simply to get good low-speed
recordings. However, a semi-pro or professional standalone deck does not
require Digital Audio media as home units do.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/