Re: [ARSCLIST] Mono CD transfer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On 25/06/04, Colin Schlachta wrote:
> > I haven't worked with Sound Forge in a while, but I can remember that
> > when mono files were made from stereo ones, Sound Forge would sum the
> > two channels into one. This resulted in a 3 db gain in the new mono
> > file. Is this still the case the current version of Sound Forge? I'm
> > just mentioning this because sometimes people don't realise that this
> > can be happenning to their new mono file versions of two channel ones.
> > You can do a test by taking a 1 kHz tone and see if it goes up in
> > volume when you play back the mono copy.
> Surely that would give clipping?
Clipping in the sense of exceeding the maximum level accepted by the
software...or clipping by whatever is being used to play back the
recording/sound file?

Presumably the former would produce perfect clipping...that is,
whenever the maximum allowable size of an internal variable is
reached, the software just stores that maximum value (i.e. 32767)
which produces waveforms with perfectly flat tops. The latter has
essentially unpredictable results...
...stevenc