Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio Material Assessment Survey

On 01/07/04, Allison Feist wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a graduate student in library science working on a
> project to assess an audio visual collection. I have started
> testing the audio portion of my survey on open reels. The plan
> had been to test the playback condition of the tapes along
> with a visual assessment.
>
> Thus far the tapes I have worked on have all been in slotted
> reels. When I have gone to play them back and then rewind I
> find that the wind becomes very uneven. Is this symptomatic of
> the player I am using - the speed (some of these played at 7.5
> IPS and others at 3.75 IPS.)  It is also unlikely that any of
> these tapes have ever been exercised.

Do you mean that you are rewinding at fast speed? That will always give
bad results. You need to turn the tape over and rewind at playing speed,
if the tape plays in only one direction.

(Many tapes have recordings in both directions.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx