[ARSCLIST] Audio Material Assessment Survey

Hello,

I am a graduate student in library science working on a
project to assess an audio visual collection. I have started
testing the audio portion of my survey on open reels. The plan
had been to test the playback condition of the tapes along
with a visual assessment.

Thus far the tapes I have worked on have all been in slotted
reels. When I have gone to play them back and then rewind I
find that the wind becomes very uneven. Is this symptomatic of
the player I am using - the speed (some of these played at 7.5
IPS and others at 3.75 IPS.)  It is also unlikely that any of
these tapes have ever been exercised.

Is the damage I might be causing worth the benefits of
playback testing? (Keep in mind this project currently has no
budget so I don't think I have access to new hubs.) If anyone
has performed an assessment survey I would love to be able to
contact you off list.

Thanks!
Allison Feist

PS - I cannot find information on "Tenzar" a material used my
Scotch 3M.I assume that it is a proprietary plastic; am I correct?
Allison Feist, Graduate Assistant
Modern Languages & Linguistics Library
439 Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive