Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic recording tape

In a message dated 6/9/04 9:01:04 PM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Speaking of storage media, can anyone tell me whether reel-to-reel should =
be put in special storage cases?  Most of our tapes are currently in the =
boxes the tape comes in.  We are planning a digitizing project and I am =
trying to calculate cost.  Any assistance would be helpful. >>

Tape is proving remarkably durable over time, particularly older tape
formulations prior to the late 1970s.  After that time professional tapes have become
quite probleatic due to "sticktion" and "sticky shedding" symptoms as a
result of moisture absorbtion.

For a while Scotch and some other manufacturers sold what they called an
archival box, a plastic case that would shut tight, though hardly hermetic.

As usual, best storage is stable humidity control (in the 50% range) and
stable temperature, preferably around 50 degrees F.  But again, tape formulations
prior to the 1970s seem remarkably tolerant of most indoor environments.  Be
sure to keep them several feet away from magnetic fields that can be generated
by electromagnetic sources like transformers (which are in most electronic
equipment including flourescent lighting), video screens, speakers.  Usually such
fields can be detected with a portable AM radio that is not tuned to a
broadcast signal.  If it picks up a buzz or electronic hash, you've got a local
electromagnet field possibly strong enough to affect tapes over time.

Other list members may have helpful suggestions.

Dave Radlauer
Rhythm Productions
www.JAZZHOT.Bigstep.com