[ARSCLIST] storage media

Speaking of storage media, can anyone tell me whether reel-to-reel should be put in special storage cases?  Most of our tapes are currently in the boxes the tape comes in.  We are planning a digitizing project and I am trying to calculate cost.  Any assistance would be helpful.

Donna Sinclair
Special Collections Coordinator, Oral History
Oregon Historical Society Research Library

>>> "Nancy's Overland Stage Lines (Nancy and Larry A. Hall, Sr.)"               <NancysOverlandStageLines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06/09/04 09:57AM >>>
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Have lurked for a while on the list.

Recent comments about 78 storage in zip-loc bags prompts me to ask the following:

Can cd's, in their little jewel boxes, be safely stored in metal boxes?

I've been fotunate to be exposed in my lifetime to almost all the recording media.  Having accumulated a treasure of audio tapes over the last thirty years, has always made me allergic to magnets and metal boxes.

I presume CD's are plastic and the coating to be aluminum.

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.

Nancy and Larry Hall,
Members:
National Radio Club,
American Radio Relay League

Â?You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.   You pull his tail
in  New  York and his head is meowing
in Los Angeles.
Do you understand this?

Â?And radio operates exactly the same way:
you  send signals  here, they  receive  them
there.     The only difference is
that there is no cat.Â?   --  Albert Einstein