Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST Digest - .BWF backward compatibility

http://www.ebu.ch/departments/technical/pmc/pmc_bwf.html#intro

Here is the primary web page for the BWF standard.  If you read through the
specs, you will see "nchannel" described.  Using interleaving of the audio
data, it is possible to combine many "tracks" into a single audio file.

I'm not saying that is good, I am just saying that it can be done.  Some DAW
applications (Nuendo, Pyramix?) can save multitrack data as a single BWF.

It is doubtful this file could be opened up on every platform, however.

1 track = 1 BWF is how the NARAS Deliverables document handled this hot
potato.  That might make it easier for subsequent file migration.

As a side note, most of the current recording projects that we work on have
800-1000 BWFs per project - and the file counts are only headed upward with
each new generation of recording applications and hardware.

It does underscore the fact that digital archives will have routine file
maintenance as part of their workflow.

John Spencer
www.bridgemediasolutions.com