Re: [ARSCLIST] Outboard ADC recommendations

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Vernon Miller wrote:

> I want to buy an outboard ADC for digitizing some of my vinyl.  In the past
> I've used my old faithful Turtle Beach Monterey PCI card, but given its age
> and my current computer config that's no longer an option.
>
> I'd like an external solution that's either USB 2.0 or Firewire (with a
> slight preference for USB).  I want to balance price with quality of analog
> inputs and ADC.

A relatively low cost solution is the Mbox from Digidesign. It is
connected via a USB port and draws its power from same. It gives you a
coax digital in and out, 2 mic inputs, and two line level in an out
connections. Cost is under $500 and for another $800 or so, you can get
the WAVES restoration plugins.  While they aren't CEDAR, I have found them
quite good.

Karl