Re: [ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] refresh plan

At 09:08 AM 3/4/2004 +0100, Lars Gaustad wrote:
With the decline in CR-R quality, I first of all think you are entering
dangeruos terrain.
Even the large respected vendors of quality media now sells outsourced
produced CD-Rs under their own name.

But you need at least to have an error report on each disc produced to
maintain initial top quality in terms of low error rate.
I am not sure about the Plextor Premium drive, one of the great problems
on CD_R technology is the fact that
drives do not have to be buildt to standards, which means that your test
result is only as good as your drive,
and only consistent using the same drive for retesting.

A professional testing euipment would be a nescessity to maintain validity.

There are also professional services which can reduce the outlay required. I have no connection with Media Sciences, but have used their service. Note that the expertise needed to assess recording quality is substantial; while the hardware is costly, building the skills needed to exploit it is even more expensive.

Drop by http://www.mscience.com/ for an introduction. Jerry will also test
a single disc for you without charge; when you see the extent of his
analysis, you may well decide to turn that part of your project over to his
company.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/