[ARSCLIST] Odd Speed

Recently, in our collection, I came across a 1/4 inch reel to reel tape
which has a spliced in section at the head.  It has audio on it which is
neither 3 3/4ips or 7 1/2ips, infact I think it is in the middle of that
and could be 5.625ips!  Is there such a speed?  I was able to make out
the audio too which was very interesting, to say the least.  The
unidentified person first sings a song, then goes on to apologise and
says you can erase this if you want and that he didn't have the heart to
do it and then, says sorry if you are the person who has found it!  He
also thinks the image of the police officer has gone upwards!

With that aside, are there machines that play this speed?

Regards

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist
Mississippi Department of Archives & History
Ph: 601-576-6909