[ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] refresh plan

With the decline in CR-R quality, I first of all think you are entering dangeruos terrain.
Even the large respected vendors of quality media now sells outsourced produced CD-Rs under their own name.

But you need at least to have an error report on each disc produced to maintain initial top quality in terms of low error rate.
I am not sure about the Plextor Premium drive, one of the great problems on CD_R technology is the fact that
drives do not have to be buildt to standards, which means that your test result is only as good as your drive,
and only consistent using the same drive for retesting.

A professional testing euipment would be a nescessity to maintain validity.

And with the incisistency in quality and lack of empirical knowledge on the life expectency of CD-R, betting all your
money on one type of carrier may be hazardous, and doing the same on one medium carrier vendor is hazardous .

You will certainly at least have to monitor your collection based on statistical sampling taking into consideration CD-R vendor, batch, drive used to record and recording speed, but the optimal thing and only sure safe thing would be to monitor all the CD-Rs on a regular basis, comparing error reports and recopying according to this schema.

Frame burst errors FBE

<  6

Block error rate BLER average

< 10

Block error rate BLER peak

< 50

E 22 (correctable errors)

<   0

E 32 (uncorrectable errors)

<   0

            Table 1 Section 6.6: Maximum End of Life error levels in an archival CD-R

This table will be presented in a publication by the Technical Commision of IASA,
the International Assosiation of Sound and Audiovisual Archives, called

Guidelines on the Production and Preservation of Digital Audio Objects

due to be published this spring,
and presented at the Joint Technical Symposium 2004 in Toronto ultimo June.

Yours,

lars gaustad
IASA TC Chair

lars gaustad