Re: [ARSCLIST] refresh plan

Hello, Holly,

This is a fascinating project. I'm so glad it's getting done.

As one of the people who might have had some input to this, I am, perhaps,
prejudiced.

With five copies (two full-bandwidth vault copies?) of the eacb asset, I think
the important thing would be to spot-check the two different vaults of the
Mitsui Gold full-bandwidth copies for error rates and playability.

I think a small, random sample on a yearly basis would be good. The Plextor
Premium drive provides some degree of feedback.

Probably each year logging the errors from 100 randomly selected discs would be
useful.

I pattern of changing the discs while maintaining history over time might be
very useful--especially with new additions coming in. It would be good to
sample the major different batches of discs.

Mitsui claim >100 year lifetime for this product if stored carefully.

I think I read that you're keeping the two full-bandwidth copies separate--that
is cruial. Two separate buildings, not in a common risk zone (i.e. wildfire,
flood, etc.) would be ideal.

Good luck!

Richard
--