Re: [ARSCLIST] refresh plan

At 09:24 AM 3/3/2004 -0800, Holly Dzyban wrote:
Sorry, guess I wasn't very clear there, was I?

Our collection will eventually consist of roughly 15,000 Mitsui Gold
CD-Rs, each of which holds one copy of an analog recording. Say 6,000 will
be in a semi-closed archive, used only when the mp3 copies do not have
high enough sound resolution for our linguistic researcher. 9,000 will be
stored in a closed archive, only handled to make another CD copy if one of
the 6,000 is lost or damaged. Between the semi-closed and closed archives,
we'll have five copies of each recording, each on a separate CD.

Is that enough information? Thanks so much for your help.

As an amateur in the field, I will offer one recommendation: Do not put all your masters on the same medium. Fine as Mitsui Gold discs are, if there should be a manufacturing problem or other systematic error, all copies could fail. One set should be on a different medium of comparable quality.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/